Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tea-Dyeing: My paper smells so good!

This past week I celebrated a day of doing what I want, and putting off homework for the joy of it. : ) My sister had asked me if I had ever tea-dyed anything. I had to tell her no, but that I loved the effect it gave paper. So on this day of deliberate irresponsibility I chose to finally try out this tea-dyeing. 


I had some Chamomile tea and so I heated up about 2 1/2 cups of water and poured it into a glass baking pan. I added 5 tea-bags to the pan and allowed them to sit for about 20 mins, with occasional stirring. My roomie had some left over coffee so I also threw that in a pan, still warm.

Next, I got some notecards (my favorite to write on) and some sketchbook paper. I tore some of the edges to see what later effects it would bring out. I place the paper in the pans and allowed them to set for 30 minutes. I weighed them down with the tea bags, but you can use little stones or even silverware would work.
 
I did the same thing with the coffee, and left some of the edges out to give it a faded color effect.



I layed them out on parchment paper for 30 minutes to allow them to dry. Then I placed them on paper towels for the final 20 minute drying and layed heavy books on them to keep them from curling. A few of them I let curl. It adds a pretty cool antique feeling. Like you found a treasured note from ages and ages ago ; )   
I had them laying out in my room, and let me tell you, it made my room smell yummmy!  So after they had dried completely, voila! Beautiful antiqued paper! 


I absolutely love the results and how they came out. I want to do this to all my paper now!

This paper is a great gift idea as well! The paper is perfect for a stationary set. 
Jane Austen would be proud. 

I chose to use the paper on my LOVE wall. This is a wall I stick all my favorite verses and quotes on. It is in my bathroom and reminds me every morning as I get ready what my life is truly about. The paper gives it an even more treasured feel. I love how it turned out! Try it out! 




Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed."
Lamentations 3:21-22

No comments:

Post a Comment