Friday, January 27, 2012

Craft Craving

Hello whimsy friends!

I hope this day finds you overflowing with joy and rest. It is a beautiful day outside my window, a perfect 69〫...in January!!! Even the trees on campus are blossoming...I think they are confused just like the rest of us! Maybe we really did skip winter? Hmmm...That's ok with me! : )

After a crazy week, I was craving some time to just stop thinking and create something. I had a vase of flowers and convinced myself I would buy some beautiful fresh flowers ever week....ya that lasted long. Not. : ) I was soon reminded how expensive flowers are, sadly.  I decided to make some flowers myself. Yup, just make it yourself. I think that has become my motto over the past few years. I see things I love and then I see the price... it usually sounds like this, "SHEESH! Are you serious? I'll just make this myself." 

So I searched a while online, and with the help of my best friend Pinterest, I found these lovelies! The tutorial is great and super easy to follow! They aren't as difficult as you would think. : ) And voila...

I had a Snapple bottle that I had painted turquoise, so I just put them in that to add a bit of color. Snapple bottles are SUPER cute because they have a whimsy little "S" engraved in the glass (you should look next time ; )
So there you have the lovely $$$ saver! I still think I'll buy real flowers every now and then...but I love my paper ones. So easy to take care of! 
Next I had my eye on all my random jars/bottles. Yes...I collect glass bottles and jars whenever I find them, they're free after all! (Well are you paying for the drink or the bottle? or both?) 
Saves the planet anyway, recycle! 
I decided I would wrap them! Here is the before and after:

All you do is dap a bit of hot glue at the top under the lip of the bottle and start wrapping! The curves get tricky, but you'll get the hang of it. You can add a dot of hot glue every now and then if the string tries to move. It is best to start from the top and go down. And then just finish it off with a dab of hot glue on the bottom!


You can play around with different designs/yarns/string. Baker's twine is my next choice of string. Obviously the thicker the string being used the quicker it goes. try out different thicknesses, and let me know how they turn out! 

Have fun! And be blessed! We serve a marvelous God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment