Monday, April 1, 2013

Back to our Roots

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend! I am so grateful for the opportunity we have been give to celebrate such a day. When I think about Easter, I realize that if we didn't celebrate this day...if it had never happened...there would be no hope in this world. None at all. And my friend, a life without hope is no life at all. Praise the Lord that HE HAS RISEN, giving us more hope than we could ever handle!

This season the Lord is taking me through my faith's roots. As a Christian, a Christ follower, my faith is based upon Judaism. Growing up I had little to no understanding of this fascinating and rich faith. I am so grateful the Lord has begun to open my eyes to its importance and life. I owe part of this journey's beginning to some of my wonderful mentors who have lived passionately about educating Christians on the importance of our Jewish roots.

Don't worry I've got a scrumptious recipe to share too. :)

This past Holy Week, starting with Palm Sunday to the wee hours of last night, the Lord has been rocking my world with hunger for understanding of HIS faith. I want to know the faith of my Savior. He was a Jew. He was not only a Jew but a rabbi, a teacher of the Scriptures. He wore a tallit and tefillin. He was a Jew to his very core. I cannot even begin to share all that the Lord has opened my mind to know and learn about the Hebrew language and significance. But what I can say is that when you take the time to study the faith of Jesus, you will begin to understand Him and His words in ways you wish  you had known all your life. Messianic Jews have such amazing revelation because they get both sides of the Good News. Jesus hints to SO much that the Jews would understand, but unless we educate ourselves and seek God's wisdom we will always miss out on it. There is so much symbolism and meaning behind every little thing in the Hebrew language and faith.

I am reading with my small group the book that has ignited my passion for the Jews and for them to know Christ. I HIGHLY recommend this book, "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus" by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg.

I want us to realize the importance of Jews knowing their Messiah. I want us to know Jesus in the way He was meant to be known, the way He WAS known by His disciples during those three years of His earthly ministry.  I want to be a disciple of my Lord, my Rabboni. I want to walk in the dust that His feet kick up as I follow Him everywhere.

This past week I took part in a Passover seder. It was incredibly significant and shifted things in my heart.
Passover Seder Plate
The Passover plate has 6 items, each carrying deep significance to the retelling of the story of Exodus when the Israelites were delivered from Egypt.  The six things on a seder plate are an egg, horseradish, bitter  herbs, Charoset, horseradish root, and a leg of lamb. I encourage you to research the symbolism of each item. It is fascinating!

The most delicious part of seder was the Charoset. I had never even heard of it before, but my sister and I were asked to prepare it. It represents the bricks the Israelites were forced to make while in captivity. I'm quite in love with this. So I'm going to share it with you!

Charoset:
Ingredients:
1 granny smith apple
2 gala apples
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3-4 tbsp sweet red wine (Kosher if Jewish)
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of clove
Brown sugar, to sweeten

Directions:
1. Peel apples
2. Dice apples into tiny pieces
3. Place diced apple into large bowl
4. Stir in remaining ingredients except the brown sugar
5. Taste and add brown sugar to further sweeten
6. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour

The second thing we had, which was our meal during the middle of seder was called Matzo Ball Soup. I'd never had it before but I made it for my family the next day. It was extremely easy and so delicious I ate 3 cups in one day. (oops! :)

Here is the box which you should be able to find at your local grocery store in the international food section. Simply follow the directions on the back of the box. I also sautéed some onion, carrots, and celery and added it to the soup. So delicious. It is a Jewish dish, but not of any significance. It is just plain yummy. :)


I pray that you begin to search out about the beauty of Judaism and the riches that come with knowing it and Jesus Christ. If you have any questions or are just curious for more info please don't hesitate to ask me. I am just learning all this but would love to share what I have learned! 

Baruch haba b'shem Adonai! 
(Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord!)

No comments:

Post a Comment