Monday, August 5, 2013

Overcomer

So sorry it's been a while since I last wrote. It has been a very busy past couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago, I went to Senior High camp with my church. That Monday I had an interview with the school I student taught at. I gave it over to the Lord, surrendering every possible outcome. The same day I got a call offering me the position of 4th grade Math and Science teacher! Praise the Lord! He is so faithful!

Recently on the radio, I heard the song Overcomer by Mandisa. Something stirred in my spirit and I immediately sent it to a friend who I thought it was totally for. Little did I realize that it was soon to be the song for my own season of life.

I have come to realize that I either pine over events or stuff them away. I'm a very passionate person and therefore either passionately pursue or passionately ignore things. (Can I find a little balance please? ) ;) One area I feel that I have stuffed away and just told myself to accept was a moment in the summer after my 3rd grade year.

I witnessed a horse back riding accident and from that moment on experienced extreme bouts of fear/anxiety and panic attacks. It may sound extremely odd to many people, but I believe that it was the beginning of a spiritual battle in my life.

The Lord has brought me leaps and bounds in my battle against fear. He has taught me the power of Scripture and prayer in the moments I am crippled with it. My God is strong and mighty to deliver, yet I have often just accepted the situation and honestly never dealt with the trauma of that day so many years ago.

You see the enemy does not want us to deal with traumatic moments in our life. However small it may seem to others, God does not belittle any event that hurt you. The enemy wants us to stuff away the trauma and ignore the problems we have because of it.

But God has something to say about this.

YOU'RE AN OVERCOMER.

"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith. WHo is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" 1 John 5:4-5

As believers we are born of God and therefore overcome the world and all the plots of the enemy against us. But in order to overcome we must "fight the good fight of faith" and hold tight to the life God has given to us (1 Tim.6:12). We have nothing to fear or dread because we are in Christ and He in us. We must choose to believe what God has told us, and have faith that we are indeed overcomers who already have the victory.

I realized last night as I went up for prayer at church, right now is as good a time as any to be rid of this trauma in my life. And there I went and laid it before the Lord, releasing a burden I have carried for too long. I repented of allowing the fear and anxiety to define me and have its way with my life, I forgave others who have fed the fear in my life, and I declared myself free in the name of Jesus. I felt a wave of courage and new life come over me as my friend led me in prayer. They said one word, "Overcomer," and my heart lept within me.

God told me in that moment, "You don't have to try and become an overcomer. You are an overcomer."

This whole time, all these years...I have been an overcomer. I was blind to this fact because of my fear, and that is exactly where the enemy wanted me to stay. But no longer. We are more than conquerors through him who loved us (Romans 8:37), we are overcomers.

If you have gone through any traumatic experience and still feel burdened by it, today is the day my sweet friend. Today is the day to let it go. God is faithful to deliver you. All you have to do is let Him take it. You were meant to live in the freedom and peace of Jesus Christ. Tell  Him right now that you don't want to hold onto it anymore. He won't make you keep it. :)

"The same man, the Great I AM,
the one who overcame death,
is living inside of you,
so just hold tight,
fix your eyes
on the One who holds your life
there's nothing He can't do

Don't quit, don't give in. You're an overcomer."
-Overcomer by Mandisa


No comments:

Post a Comment