Monday, January 21, 2013

Spaghetti Squash

Alright, so the cooking New Year's resolution is coming along! The next recipe I'll share is one that I LOVE. It has so many possibilities. And is SUPER easy. Like 10 minutes easy.

The first time I cooked this I freaked out because I had never eaten spaghetti squash and it is SO cool!  It is seriously like spaghetti, only it doesn't leave you feeling heavy and stuffed.

Ingredients: 
Spaghetti Squash
Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper

Sauce: 
1 24 oz. can of Organic Original Pasta Sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp basil leaves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp dry Italian seasoning




Directions:
Cut Spaghetti Squash in half, long ways. From stem top to bottom, and then scoop out the seeds.

Coat each half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and peper. Place in microwave for 9 minutes, in 3 minute increments or until a fork easily pokes through. (If microwaves freak you out, turn upside down in a baking dish and bake until tender. It will take quite a bit longer, but you'll get the same results.)

While the squash is cooking I make the sauce. I pour a small can of Original Pasta sauce into a sauce pan, and then add all the above herbs. I prefer using fresh herbs, but dried ones are fine as well. They just won't give you the stronger flavor. Let it get to a boil and then turn off the heat.

Once the squash is tender, using a fork, scoop out the squash. It should easily come apart and be stringy like spaghetti. Crazy cool right?!?

You can either eat out of the squash itself, or you can scoop the spaghetti into a bowl. Top with sauce, and add any variety of vegetables.

So simple, so quick. You could even just go with canned sauce if you didn't have time to make your sauce. You can use meat sauce if you want a more  hearty meal, but as I stick to a plant-based diet, I love the lightness of this meal. I feel full after eating half of a half of the squash. It stores well also for leftovers.

Wish I had discovered this in college! Happy healthy eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment